Saturday 12 December 2009

Change of direction

Those of you who have read this blog may have noticed I have not been a prolific writer at all. Searching my mind for an answer as why this may be, I have found two main reasons. First, internet connection in South America is notoriously inconsistent. That, by itself, is probably not an excuse. I have met several fellow bloggers who were not deterred by Bolivian dial-up nor by Cuzco's gringo-filled internet cafes and dedicated hours on end to let their followers know what antics they got up to in the land of the Incas. Personally, I preferred to explore Cuzco, or La Paz, or wherever I was.
The second, and probably the definite reason for my silence, is that I do not want to be a food blogger. During my time in Blighty I met several individuals who expected freebies, VIP treatment or a book deal on account of their culinary ramblings. There are enough wannabe Jay Rayner or AA Gill as it is, so let me entertain you with something different. From now henceforth this blog will be about mine and my better half's wanderings and pilgrimages in foreign lands, about what struck us the most during this time spent touring the planet.
However, I find myself unable to erase the Epicurean enjoyment of food from my writings. Thinking back to my time in South America from a comfortable chair in Richmond NSW, I find my memories inextricably linked to some sort of food or beverage. Like a trigger for reminiscence. So, let me entertain you with tales of my journey, once again starting in Rio de Janeiro.

No comments:

Post a Comment